Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Happy Birthday, Benedict!!!



When I first felt the contraction, I was already lying in bed watching late TV shows on ABS-CBN. It was around 11pm on August 29, 2006. But I still am not sure if it was really contraction I am feeling so I just tried to lie still and get into the most comfortable position I can get. I was really heavy this time so I thought maybe all the walking (exercise) I’ve been doing the last couple of days must have caused the dull pain in my leg. The sensation is somewhat similar to menstrual cramps somewhat. Yet I don’t want to be so complacent too, as I don’t really know what to expect when I go into labor. So around 1am of Aug. 30, 2006, after I used the bathroom and found a pinkish blood-like substance in the toilet bowl, I called up your Di Ei (my sister, Grace). I described the feeling and what I have seen in the toilet. She told me to start timing the contractions na. I decided to call your Dad then but told him that it isn’t confirmed yet. Past 3am, I went to pee again and this time there’s a red blood on the toilet bowl. And the menstrual cramp-like feeling has not subsided, if anything, it grew a bit more intense but still tolerable. I was more uncomfortable than in pain, really. I thought it’s time to call your Dad so he can still have time to book for a flight to Cebu in case I’d be admitted to the hospital in the morningSo after a few attempts of timing the contractions, I got bored and sleepy so I decided to get some shut-eye instead. . I remember praying til I got sleepy.
Around 6am, I woke up your Yaya Mila and inform her to finish packing our stuffs for the hospital. She got nervous, poor little girl J. I finished taking a bath, ate my breakfast and waited for your Di Ei to come. By this time, your Tita Stephanie & Tita Rachel (whom we’ve been staying with) are both ready also. So when Di Ei arrived, we headed to Chong Hua Hospital which is about 10 minutes away from their place lang. I was checked first and around 7am, I was admitted to the hospital. Labor is on-going by this time and my cervix was 5 cm dilated already. I remember praying fervently and remembering all informations I have read in the books to pass the time. And feeling a bit excited and pleased when they informed me that if contractions will progress as expected, I am to give birth in the afternoon. I will be seeing you soon, my little one!
While I was lying in bed in the labor room, many student nurses were asking me questions such as age, gender of baby, if this is my first delivery, etc… But I’ve been feeling ok so I tried to accommodate them as they also made me feel good with the warmth of their palm on my tummy and back. I was given an IV and fetal monitor to check your condition & the labor’s progress. When I was about 8cm dilated, Doc Abalos came and ordered for me to be given a pain reliever shot. After which, I remember feeling so sleepy. I learned later on that an hour had passed before she woke me up and transferred me to the delivery room. Now the time is near when I’ll get to hold you in my arms. My general experience of your birth is quiet pleasant, Benedict. My contractions progressed rather quickly and there were no labor complications. My OB-Gynecologist later on informed me that I was very lucky as it’s like I was in painless labor because I was so sleepy that the pain didn’t bother me as much. It took me about 4 pushes before you, my little Benedict came out. By then, your daddy Marlon joined me in the delivery room. He said I look like I was in so much pain that he thought I won’t be able to deliver via normal means. It’s so amazing the whole birth process! The bet part was seeing you, my precious baby boy. The first time I laid eyes on you, I felt a rush of love for you, my little guy whom I have cared for ever since I realized that you’re growing inside my tummy. I remember telling you “I love you, son” when you were put beside me to breastfed the first time. You’re so tiny and adorable! I closed my eyes and whisphered a short thank you prayer to Papa God.

Then we had our first family picture taken by a kind nurse right there in the delivery room.
Your first video, courtesy of your Di Ei Grace...Welcome, little boy. Happy birthday!!!




P.S. Mommy loves you so...

No comments: