Tuesday, April 08, 2008

You now know the Alphabet ^_^...hurray!!!

I remember posting before that I got pissed off 'coz a mom made a comment which to me came out as somewhat belittling your ability, my tiny munchkin as you are not yet familiar with the alphabet. And not even a bit inclined to learn it at that time. This was a few months ago. Honestly, I was so tempted to drill on you the letters of the alphabet then. Coz I really felt that I was not a competent mommy bec of a single, careless comment.

But your Daddy told me to just let it pass. And he validated that I am a good mom (best mom pa man gani, he said ^_^) and no amount of a stranger's comment can ever change that. But just the same, I still felt offended.

It took all of my willpower not to take out all the wall charts & stick it on every possible area in our bedroom. As I have them all these time. Your Ah Ko Dulce is very excited that she bought em all for you, his dear nephew long before you can hold your head up...hahaha.

Looking back, I may have over-reacted. But when I took that careless remark positively, things began to turn for the better. How I did this? Not me really. All I can ever take credit for is that I prayed...so hard...that I may not turn to be a pushy mom..that I may have the patience to see you through your milestones & wait for the time that YOU are ready & capable & not push you bec. everyone else is doing/achieving such milestones na. Hmmm, I simply rested in God's care trusting that He is all-knowing & that verything happens in His time.

How did we learn that you are now ready for the alphabet na? Here's the scenario...twas Good Friday, we have nowhere to go...and sooo hot & humid. We decided to visit your Ah Ko's place and so we hang out in their bedroom. As theirs is quite a small place, you, my tiny tike got restless & bored in no time. No amount of videos and singing can distract you. You took fancy on the markers in your Ko Tiu's computer table, so we took out a few pieces of bond paper and made you scribble. You were drawing circles "round and round" or so you say...twas more of a few streaks here & there in reality...hehe. Then your Ah Ko thought of drawing letter A telling you "Benedict, this is letter A" and you, my boy nodded and repeated Ah Ko's word "A..." We were actually surprised. That was the first time we ever realized that you have started to learn the alphabet na diay. Though the past few days you would nonchalantly quiz me on the the 3 letters (A, B & C) found on your (mine, handed down to you) wooden cabinet...I never really seriously taught you that. When you would point to letter A, I'd just tell you "That's letter A", and "this is letter B and C" when he would point to B & C, respectively...but then you would also promptly lose interest so I guess I've never really taken your query as a sign that you are now ready to learn your ABCs.

The most I did is to play Brainy Baby ABCs and 123s occassionally. But this is along with Dora, Barney & Mickey Mouse Clubhouse...plus some other videos like Jollibee & Bumblebee. It's more for variety rather than to make you learn the alphabet. Oh, you would sometimes mimic the sounds in the Leap Frog DVD that we have, I mostly credit this one for your learning fast the letters of the alphabet. Thanks to my Siobe (your Di Ei Grace) for sharing this with us.

Anyway, back to your Ah Ko & you, my son... we started writing B, D, E, F, M, O, P, Q, S, T (not necessarily in this order), and you got all these letters right no matter how we would jumble it up. We were impressed! I'd really risk the fact of being called a smug, but I am so mighty proud of you, my little tyke...And who would not be? You learned all these on your own! I was not wrong after all, you are smart, my Benedict... if I may say so ...hahaha, now I am definitely loving my own...

Over the past few weeks, you quickly learned the rest of the letters --> C is still "kha", but you can differentiate A from E, as well as M from N . And you have added the ff. letters to the rest that you have learned (H, I, L, R, U, X and Z).

To date, you only have to learn the letters V and W to complete your alphabet and you would still sometimes get confused with G and J. I'd say you are indeed a fast learner. You may be a late bloomer (though your Ah Ko would definitely argue saying that you are less than 2yo) but you would easily catch up, and when the interest hits you, you can learn it all overnight (such as the case of the animals chart)...uhm, not really on the alphabet though, but still, it had been less than a month since you started learning them.

Way to go Benedict!!! My-my is mighty proud of you...oh bdw, you now graduated to calling me "my-my" instead of mama...haay, I couldn't quite get you to say Mommy but you have no problem saying "daddy" all the time.

I'm not really complaining though, just amused! Love you, Son!

No comments: